'I was having this awful nightmare that I was 32. And then I woke up and I was 23. So relieved. And then I woke up for real, and I was 32.' - Celine, Before Sunset

Monday, October 24, 2005

What happened to our cultural identity?


New Friends
Originally uploaded by Mark Ordoñez.


I got to talk to my team mates from Thailand & India while they were here last week and I realized that, unlike them, we do not have much of a cultural identity.

It certainly did not help that we were Spanishized, Americanized & Japanized. They have their deeply rooted beliefs and customs common to them. We do not have that. They have their dietary restrictions. We do not have that. They have the cultural bounty and security not to actively seek the latest and the greatest of foreign imports. We do have that.

What exactly do we have? As of now, a cultural mixture as a result of globalization - a mixture that is uniquely Filipino.

My team mates found that especially interesting. =)

0 comments: