'I was having this awful nightmare that I was 32. And then I woke up and I was 23. So relieved. And then I woke up for real, and I was 32.' - Celine, Before Sunset

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Do not stand at my grave and weep



Originally uploaded by andrewlee1967


I saw the latest episode of Desperate Housewives yesterday ("Welcome to Kanagawa", first airing on the ABC network January 6, 2008). In the episode, the character Mrs. McCluskey recited a modified version of the poem "Do not stand at my grave and weep" by Mary Elizabeth Frye (1904-2004) as she was scattering the ashes of her dear friend Ida Greenberg on the baseball field where Ida had executed a triple play as a women's professional ballplayer.

The poem was sad, subtle and nothing short of beautiful.

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am in a thousand winds that blow,
I am the softly falling snow.
I am the gentle showers of rain,
I am the fields of ripening grain.
I am in the morning hush,
I am in the graceful rush
Of beautiful birds in circling flight,
I am the starshine of the night.
I am in the flowers that bloom,
I am in a quiet room.
I am in the birds that sing,
I am in each lovely thing.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there. I did not die.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi. my GF overheard you annouce your blog to your friends. out of curiosity, here we are! i think you write well, no pun intended here. cheers!

PS: what was your friend's LJ address?