'I was having this awful nightmare that I was 32. And then I woke up and I was 23. So relieved. And then I woke up for real, and I was 32.' - Celine, Before Sunset

Monday, June 27, 2011

A Life Less Ordinary


Sleeping cat, originally uploaded by Dr. Hemmert.

I sometimes wish I had the life of a cat. Domesticated, collared, groomed and well-fed. I get to sleep the afternoons away. Chase everything shiny and smaller than I am. Be lazy.

I'd climb up trees and watch cars go by. I'd hiss and air-claw the neighbor's cowardly dog. I'd occasionally swipe at goldfish in the pond. I'd show my master trophies of dead birds and insects I'll sneak indoors.

I'd look outside the window and wish the rain away. I'd hang up the curtains and tumble onto the sofa below. I'd run up and down the stairs just because I can. I'd ignore every other guest that my master brings home.

I'd sometimes look into my master's weary eyes. I'd wonder what happened during his day. I'd meow and ask why he seems lonely at times. I'd ponder why he's been in bed all day.

I'd do stupid acrobatics to just get a laugh. I'd stretch and lie on his face when he doesn't want to get up. I'd do this for I suffer the expectations of being an ordinary. He suffers this for being a lonely man with a cat.

0 comments: