'I was having this awful nightmare that I was 32. And then I woke up and I was 23. So relieved. And then I woke up for real, and I was 32.' - Celine, Before Sunset

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Red Lights - The Apophis, part 2


March 4, 2007.

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

The computer on the east corner office of the Arizona State University Highland Observatory has been bellowing the same sound for about 20 minutes now. Down the other side of the building on the reception desk, Johnny Polanski was frantically dialing the home of the District Dean for Inner Space Research. He got through. After three rings, a recorded message played.

"You have reached the Devreux residence, we are curre..."

Johnny skipped the recording and went ahead to leave a message.

"Professor, It's Johnny. I need to talk to you as soon as you possible sir. I think we made a mistake in our earlier calculation. I had Lomax verify the trajectory. The NLDL program is now projecting a 1 in 4500 chance of impact. I don't know what to do next sir. Please call.

Johnny stayed on the line and stared into the dark corridor leading back to the corner office. Two minutes passed and the line dropped as it reached the end of tape.

To be continued.

0 comments: